Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Prayer to Selene


Now, I am not a worshipper of the moon goddess (just wanted to get that out in the open), and I have never met anyone who is, but I was roaming the Internet, searching for inspiration for my next story, when I stumbled upon a website about gypsy magic (which I cannot remember the name of just now, so you're just going to have to take it on faith. :P). It was very interesting, so I read a little, and stumbled upon a prayer to the moon goddess, Selene, that struck my fancy. Here it is:

“The gleaming stars all about the shining moon
Hide their bright faces, when full-orbed and splendid
In the sky she floats, flooding the shadowed earth
With clear silver light.

“Now rose the moon, full and silver,
While round stood the maidens, as at a shrine.
Thus sometimes, the women, tender footed,
Dance in measure round the fair altar,
Crushing the fine bloom of the grass.

“Come hither moon goddess, Selene, come,
And in golden goblets pour richest nectar
All mixed in most ethereal perfection,
Thus to delight us.”

Isn't it beautiful?

                                                                              Sincerely,
                                                                                      A Writer
  

No comments:

Post a Comment