Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'm back! Didja miss me?


"Immortal amarant, a flower which once
In paradise, fast by the tree of life,
Began to bloom; but soon for man's offence
To heaven removed, where first it grew, there grows,
And flowers aloft, shading the fount of life,
And where the river of bliss through midst of heaven
Rolls o'er elysian flowers her amber stream:
With these that never fade the spirits elect
Bind their resplendent locks."
                                                            -John Milton, Paradise Lost iii. 356


Like the amaranth everlasting, I have returned! I'm so sorry for the delay, I was on my family's annual summer vacation trip to the beach. I took some gorgeous pics from the top of the lighthouse (it was terrifying.) which I will post soon(ish). God, I hate heights. And it's so windy up there. When I leaned my back against the wall It shook! (No it wasn't me shaking!) But I expect you would like a proper description of it, so I digress.


The view was spectacular, that I have to admit. I was so close to the ocean I could smell the sharp, salty air and see the pale foam that crested each silvery blue wave. The water was so blue you couldn't tell where it ended and the sky began. Seagulls dipped their wings as they soared low, sending up sprays of salt water as they hunted for fish. Houses on stilts crouched over the water like fat old ladies with their skirts looped up. A single white boat drifted out on the waves, aimlessly moving this way or that.


On the other side of the lighthouse was lake, with it's tall, sticky tufts of cordgrass, strong enough to rip the skin if you weren't careful. The water was so perfectly still I almost fancied that, late at night, the driads would sit by the water on smooth grey stones as they brushed their hair over white shoulders, watching their reflections in the cool water...


It would have been so beautiful as the sun set, or even after dark, but the lighthouse closed early that day. D:


All in all, I had a very nice time, and enjoyed myself immensely.


                                                                               Sincerely,
                                                                                         A Writer




No comments:

Post a Comment